The Los Angeles Times has announced multiple promotions and transfers:
- Terry Tang has been promoted to op-ed and Sunday opinion editor. She joined The LA Times in July 2019 from the American Civil Liberties Union, where she served as director of publications and editorial for two years. Before that, Tang worked at The New York Times for 20 years: as an editorial writer, op-ed editor, deputy technology editor, and metro desk major beats editor.
- Sue Horton has been promoted to senior editor for columnists and enterprise. She rejoined the paper in 2018 as op-ed and Sunday opinion editor, reprising a role she filled from 2008 to 2014. Horton has spent most of her career at the LA Times, with brief stints as the editor in chief of LA Weekly in the 1990s and West Cost bureau chief at Reuters from 2015 to 2018.
- Carla Rivera has taken on a new role as deputy editor of investigations. Rivera has been at the paper for more than three decades, most recently as an assistant city editor handling local justice coverage on the Metro desk. Throughout her career she has covered education, social justice, law enforcement, and breaking news.
- Christi Carras has been hired full time as a reporter on the Entertainment and Arts team, where she’ll work the morning crew to cover trending culture news as it breaks. She joined the LA Times as a summer intern in 2019 and has remained on in a temporary capacity.
- Maret Orliss has joined the op-ed department as assistant editor. She spent the past 15 years on the Event team, where she worked on programming the Festival of Books. Prior to joining the LA Times, Orliss worked for seven years at Vroman’s Bookstore.
Sameer Rao has joined Law360 as a reporter. He comes from The Baltimore Sun’s features desk, where he was an arts and entertainment reporter. Rao has also freelanced for The Guardian, Vice, The Washington Post Express, among other publications.
Credit Union Journal has welcomed Ken McCarthy as a reporter. He spent the past year reporting for American Banker and before that worked for S&P Global Market Intelligence for eight years. McCarthy has also held posts at the Association for Financial Professionals and Steel Business Briefing North America.
Samantha Oller is the new senior editor at Food Dive, the site focusing on impactful news and trends shaping the food industry. She previously spent 16 years as managing editor of CSP, a leading monthly business publication in the convenience store and petroleum retailing space.
Fox Sports Radio has hired former NFL player Geoff Schwartz as part of its weekend lineup. Schwartz has joined Steve Hartman Saturday’s airing 3-5 p.m. ET. For the past three years, Schwartz has served as the primary fill-in host for FSR’s “Outkick The Coverage with Clay Travis” and is also a weekly guest on the program.
Wendy Halloran has joined KUTV-TV, the CBS station in Salt Lake City, Utah, as chief investigative reporter. She was most recently an investigative reporter at WSB-TV in Atlanta and a chief investigative reporter at KPNX-TV in Phoenix, Arizona.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter More Content by Anna Marevska