Shira Ovide will join The New York Times in late January to help lead the launch of a new technology newsletter, which will highlight all of the tech coverage and columns that The Times offers including the ever-changing universe of technology and its intersection with culture, politics, industry and more. Ovide comes from Bloomberg Opinion, where she has been a tech columnist since 2015. Before that, she was at Dow Jones and The Wall Street Journal for more than a decade, both in New York and San Francisco.
The Wall Street Journal has announced two editorial staff additions and a promotion:
- Deanna Paul has joined the staff as courts reporter, effective Jan. 13. She covers the Manhattan district attorney’s office and the New York attorney general’s office. She was previously a reporter for the Washington Post where she covered national and breaking news.
- Janet Babin has joined The Journal as senior editor and host of the paper’s “The Future of Everything” podcast. She was most recently the executive producer of “Climate2020,” a weekly podcast that makes climate the top issue of the 2020 election. Before that, Babin worked for American Public Media Group as a news reporter.
- Elena Cherney has taken on several new assignments and has been promoted to editor, news features and special projects. She was most recently coverage planning chief at The Journal and has been on staff since 2014.
Variety has hired Manori Ravindran as international editor, effective Jan. 13. She is based in London and in addition to overseeing the brand’s overseas correspondents and freelancers, she will manage entertainment and media news across Europe and Asia. Ravindran most recently served as editor of the trade publication Television Business International.
The Washington Post has announced a promotion and an addition, in Metro and Post Reports, respectively:
- Lynh Bui is a new criminal justice editor on Metro, overseeing coverage of the federal courthouse in D.C., the D.C. Circuit appellate court and breaking news and enterprise from Maryland’s police departments and courts. She was most recently a reporter covering cops and courts in Prince George’s County for the past six years.
- Rennie Svirnovskiy has joined the Audio team as an assistant producer for Post Reports. She was part of the 2019 intern class and has spent the past several months continuing her work with Post Reports. She had also previously collaborated with The Post on an IGTV series during the 2018 midterm elections.
Tiffany Stecker has moved to Bloomberg Government to cover California legislature, health and labor from Sacramento. She was previously with Bloomberg Environment and covered energy and the environment for more than three years. Prior to that, Stecker worked for E&E News.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
For commentary and coverage on the intersection of journalism, emerging media and blogging, visit Cision’s Beyond Bylines blog.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter More Content by Anna Marevska