- Clinton Cargill joins as an assistant national editor with a focus on visual journalism and alternative story forms. He makes the move from Vanity Fair where he served as the visual director for more than one year. Prior to that, Cargill worked as the director of photography for Bloomberg Business week for more than three years.
- Elisa Gabbert joins as the newest poetry columnist for the Book Review section. She is replacing outgoing David Orr, who will focus more on his own writing. Gabbert is an author with five collections of poetry, essays and criticism. Her work, including “The Word Pretty,” has been featured in the Book Review, The New York Review of Books, A Public Space and more.
- Tim Arango re-joins the international staff, after serving as a Los Angeles-based correspondent for two years. Come May 2020, Arango will be promoted to Eastern Europe bureau chief based in Warsaw, Poland. No stranger to The Times, he began working for the outlet in 2007 and in 2010 he headed to Baghdad, Irag as the bureau chief covering the rise of the Islamic State. In his more than 12 years with The Times he's covered the spillover of Syria’s war into Turkey, President Erdogan, California wildfires, rising homelessness in Los Angeles and more.
- Mila Koumpilova joins as a senior reporter focusing on state policy and the critical issues facing low-income districts. She most recently worked for the Minneapolis Star Tribune as an immigration and higher education reporter for more than five years. Prior to that, Koumpilova served as an education reporter with the St. Paul Pioneer Press for more than three years covering Minnesota's largest urban school district and their diversity.
- Samantha Smylie joins as a reporter covering state education. Prior to that, she worked at the Hyde Park Herald as a reporter covering K-12 education, local retail estate and housing for more than one year.
- Brian Moote joins as a morning show co-host alongside Tara Ward. The duo form the newest morning show for the station "Wake Up with the Wolf". This comes as longtime morning host Lisa Taylor exited her role. Moote most recently served as co-host for the nationally syndicated radio program, “The Bert Show” for more than four years. He has also hosted for KIRO-FM and KAMP-FM.
- Tara Ward also joins as a morning show co-host for the new "Wake Up with the Wolf" program. She most recently worked at KDMX-FM in Dallas as a morning show co-host. Ward is making her return to the KPLX-FM station as she was a part of the "Wolf Morning Show" that airs from 1998 until 2008.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.