Wired magazine has welcomed Kate Knibbs as senior writer. She comes from The Ringer where she spent three years as a writer and before that reported for Gizmodo for a year as a senior writer. Knibbs has also contributed to The Onion and The Daily Dot.
The New York Times has made several editorial staff announcements:
- Luis Ferré-Sadurní is the new Metro statehouse correspondent in Albany, New York. He covers the Cuomo administration, the State Legislature and everything else involving state government and politics. Ferré-Sadurní has been with The Times since 2017 and most recently covering housing in New York City.
- Elisabeth Bumiller has been named assistant managing editor. She will remain in the Washington bureau, where she had spent the last several years as bureau chief. Bumiller has been with the paper since the mid-1990s.
- Elizabeth Bruenig has joined The Times as an Opinion writer. She was most recently an Opinions columnist at The Washington Post and has written about gender, family, class and faith. She has also previously worked for The New Republic as a faith and politics writer.
Samantha Reed has been promoted to senior editor at InStyle and covers lifestyle, news/politics, fashion, beauty, and pop culture. She was most recently a senior news editor for the magazine and joined the staff in 2018 after spending four years at The Hollywood Reporter as deputy style editor.
A group of current and former New York Times and Wall Street Journal staffers has planned to launch a new weekly magazine, DealPro, focused entirely on in-depth and investigative stories about China’s economic rise. The outlet launches in mid-February. So far, the following editorial staff has been announced:
- Former NY Times Shanghai bureau chief David Barboza is one of the founders and a staff writer. He is a 2013 Pulitzer Prize winner for international reporting on exposing corruption at high-level of the Chinese government. He is currently on leave from his duties at The Times to focus on the launch of DealPro.
- Former Wall Street Journal staffer Gary Putka is the executive editor. He was most recently the executive editor for the New England Center for Investigative Reporting and before that worked for Bloomberg News.
Lana Zak has been named an anchor at CBSN, CBS News’ 24/7 streaming news service. She comes to CBSN from ABC News, where she spent 14 years in various positions, including political reporter, fill-in anchor and producer. During her time at ABC, Zak covered Capitol Hill and the White House, the Supreme Court and the 2016 presidential campaign.
KSDK-TV, the NBC affiliate in St. Louis, Missouri, has hired Christine Byers as a crime reporter. She was most recently a Metro crime and police reporter at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and before that worked for the Daily Herald in Illinois and the Journal Star in Peoria, Illinois.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
For commentary and coverage on the intersection of journalism, emerging media and blogging, visit Cision’s Beyond Bylines blog.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter More Content by Anna Marevska